[mythtv-users] BUG? Re: ffmpeg -i says: Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 59.94 (60000/1001) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jun 7 06:04:06 UTC 2010

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>
|
| | From: Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
| |
| | On 6/4/2010 00:12, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| | > My recordings are created by MythTV .23 using the analog portion of an
| | > Hauppauge HVR-1600.
| | >
| | > Is ffmpeg -i wrong?
| |
| | For interlaced content, that's a 60Hz field rate, but a 30Hz frame rate.
|
| The message calls the 60Hz rate in the container a frame rate.  Is it
| wrong then?  Is it really supposed to be the field rate?

Googling through the ffmpeg list, it seems that this comes up once in a
while.  They don't seem to answer people's questions on this anymore.  But
this message seems to make it clear that they would consider this a
bug in whatever created the file.  I'd say it was created by MythTV,
but it might be a problem with a library or program created by another
project and used by MythTV.

<http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2008-December/018095.html>

    The video container specifies a framerate, as does the video
    stream itself.  In some cases, usually caused by badly written
    encoding programs, the two can disagree.  When this happens,
    ffmpeg is obviously forced to believe one and not the other.

I don't want to spend the Swiss Francs to buy the relevant standards to
figure out who is right.  Anybody think ffmpeg is wrong?