[mythtv-users] How to shutdown combined fe/be machine from the front panel switch?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jun 7 18:15:23 UTC 2010

Patrick Doyle wrote:

> I've specifically disabled the exit command from mythfrontend -- again
> I didn't want my family to exit out of myth and then not be able to
> restart it.
>
> I am curious why the front-panel power button doesn't "work".
>
> My definition of "work":
> Pressing the power button should generate an event.
> XFCE has a configuration item for what to do when it gets a power-off event
> but XFCE doesn't include "shut down" as one of the options
>
> I'm curious to learn why "shut down" isn't one of the options for
> responding to one of the power-off events.  Is that a Mythbuntu
> customization?  Is that a feature that was added to the GUI since
> Ubuntu 9.10?

My minimyth front-end responds to a blip on the power button to tidily shut the
front end down. So does the workstation I use as an occasional front-end. In
fact, thinking about it, the master back-end does as well. (Having said that,
the last two run Mandriva.)

You must have some Ubuntu/Mythbuntu weirdness.

I think that in a vanilla linux, a power-off button press gets translated to an
entry in /etc/inittab. You could find out what Ubuntu/Mythbuntu uses instead of
inittab and investigate there.

--

Mike Perkins