[mythtv-users] Questions about master/slave BE

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:40:30 UTC 2010

On 9 June 2010 10:23, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>> If I was running a backend 24/7 (which I do at the moment) I would try
>> to put as many capture devices in the machine as I reasonably could in
>> order to avoid having to periodically run a slave backend.
>>
> I have a master back-end server full of capture cards that runs 24/7, and
> I'm beginning to think the exact opposite.
>
> The big problem is, the capture cards are about half the power consumption
> of the server. They are PCI DVB-T cards, it's possible that if I upgraded to
> PCI-E or USB capture devices I could reduce the power, but that's a
> discussion for another time (and when there's money available!).
>
> If I take out the capture cards and put them in a slave back end, with the
> storage still being in the master, then that would mean the slave would only
> be powered up when I'm actually recording something, more or less. (I don't
> use EIT.)
>
> Obviously a lot depends on exactly which motherboards, disks, power supplies
> and capture cards one has, but I'd be interested in hearing other views on
> power saving arrangements.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Mike

It really depends on how many recordings you make and how often you
need the machine on for playback.

There's a good power usage calculator here that should help you decide.

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

I'd be quite surprised if you found the reduced power usage from a
number of PCI TV cards was a saving over having another PC powered up
even for only 6 hours a day, but you never know.

Regards