[mythtv-users] Android tablet - advanced remote control and/or frontend?

Francesco Peeters francesco at fampeeters.com
Thu Jun 10 21:56:55 UTC 2010

On 6/10/10 23:28 , Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, June 10, 2010 03:15:15 pm Nick Rout wrote:

>>> Interesting, but it looks like overkill for a remote and underkill for a
>>> frontend.
>>>
>>> To be a practical frontend it would need hardware decoding for common
>>> video formats, including h264. None of the tablets I've seen (including
>>> the iPad) have anywhere near the power to do software decoding. Some
>>> tegra chips have this capability, but I'm not sure which of them this
>>> unit is using.
>>>
>>> I think we'll see many ARM-based tablets in the coming months, they seem
>>> to be the next "Netbooks".
>>>
>> The web page claims "Full High Definition Multimedia"
>> (http://www.notionink.in/adamoverview.php).
>>
> Such a statement can mean a lot of things. It may be able to *display* HD resolutions but not necessarily decode anything
> but MPEG2. I'm not sure what "HD web streaming formats" might mean, though "such as Youtube" implies flash, something an
> iPad won't do.

The website specifically says:
" Up to 1080p video encode/decode and support for HD Web streaming
formats, such as YouTube H"
and
" Over 140 hours audio and over 16 hours of HD video playback"

So - unless they're flat out lying - I think that answers that question,
doesn't it?

They're using nVidia Tegra2, which *should* be capable of hardware HD
decoding @ 1080p H.264...

> It also says the screen is 1024x300, hardly what I would call "Full HD".
>
> I hate it when marketing types write these things and not engineers.

Actually it says 1024*600... But still no Full HD, but closer than what
you said!  ;-)

>> Yes this might be nice as a frontend on the can or perhaps out by the
>> pool [1], but really I think I prefer the 'watch tv from the sofa'
>> paradigm.
>>
> Agreed, totally.

Me three!
--