[mythtv-users] Quality control issues with Acer Revo AR1600 or is it me?

Daniel Born born_daniel at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 13:14:24 UTC 2010

>> Anybody else see anything like this? could it be a hardware design issue? a
>> driver issue (the external network adapter is not nVidia hardware so it uses
>> a different driver), could it be a firmware issue (my unit has the most
>> recent).
>>

> What distribution/kernel are you using?  My backend (I forget the chipset,
> but it was for my AMD Regor) was somewhat supported by the kernel in ubuntu
> 9.04... it would work for a while, then crap out like you described.  Mostly
> only in gigabit mode though.  Forcing it to 100 Mb made things better (I
> don't remember if it was perfect or just much, much better).  Upgrading to
> whatever kernel ubuntu 9.10 used fixed the issue (it was a documented issue
> they specifically fixed in the kernel, not just a"huh, looks like the fixed
> SOMETHING").

I'm currently running with Mythbuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31.22 and also tried with just XUbuntu, KUbuntu, Ubuntu 9.10 32&64 bits, Ubutu 10.04 (release candidate at the time), with GBit and 100MBit connections and it _seemed_ like 10.04 was giving a more stable connection (or I just didn't experiment long enough with it). Once I migrate both my Intel BE/FE and Revo FE to 10.04, I'll give the internal NIC a try just for giggles but at least I now have a fallback plan that seems very stable so far. I don't like the fact that the external NIC draws 950mW from the USB port but so far, it seems to work just fine.