[mythtv-users] Consolidation of folders in storage groups

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Jun 12 03:06:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM,  <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>    > Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:50:02 +1000
>    > From: Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com>
>
>    > Is there an automated tool I could use to dump symlinks to all the
>    > files in one folder to a different folder? Symlinks to the folder
>    > itself would bring the same problem.
>
> I'm assuming the idea is that the master directory would contain
> nothing but symlinks to the other directories somewhere else.
> Then you point myth at only the master.

Doesn't that bring me back to the same problem of opening MythVideo and seeing:

Storage Groups
     > Master Directory
           > Movies                      (On disk1)
                       > A.mkv
                       > B.mkv
           > Movies                      (On disk2)
                       > C.mkv
                       > D.mkv
           > Music Videos            (On disk1)
                       > Crowded House
                       > David Bowie
           > Music Videos            (On disk2)
                       > Les Miserables
                       > Midnight Oil
           > TV Shows                 (On disk1)
                       > NCIS
                       > Silent Witness
           > TV Shows                 (On disk2)
                       > Spooks
                       > Top Gear

When I want to see:

Storage Groups
           > Movies
                       > A.mkv
                       > B.mkv
                       > C.mkv
                       > D.mkv
           > Music Videos
                       > Crowded House
                       > David Bowie
                       > Les Miserables
                       > Midnight Oil
           > TV Shows
                       > NCIS
                       > Silent Witness
                       > Spooks
                       > Top Gear

Without ever having to care about which drive the files are actually stored on.

(no, browsing by category is a nuisance too. I just want to dump my
stuff in a folder on a disk that has room, and MAYBE have a cron job
run to create links or whatever if it's really necessary)

- Chris