[mythtv-users] MythTV Firewire Troubleshooting assistance - SOLVED

Erik Sejr esejr at wildroseinternet.ca
Sun Jun 13 15:25:36 UTC 2010

On 6/12/2010 3:26 PM, Preston Crow wrote:
>>> I've been attempting to get firewire recording working with my motorola
>>> DCX-3200 and so far have had no success.
>>>
> I have a modified 6200ch for the DCT-3200 that I have, but I found to my
> surprise that Myth handles the channel changing over Firewire just fine
> without an external channel changer.
>
> What I have found with my Firewire setup is that there are digital
> dropouts.  When I was recording the same channels with a HD Homerun
> (before Comcast turned on encryption on basic cable), the recordings
> were perfect, so it's not a signal problem.  I'm not clear on whether
> the problem is with the cable box or on the Linux side.

So far I have not noted any dropouts with this DCX-3200. 6200ch appears
to be required though, the logs in my previous post show that the
internal channel changer failed to work - unless I missed something in
the config which is required for it to function. The only other thing
I've noticed is that so far the commercial flagger seems to be running,
but then failing to find any commercials. Backend logs show that it
runs, but the number of commercials found is always zero. Anyone know
how to troubleshoot this?

So far Northwestel does not appear to encrypt or disable firewire on any
channel that I have, but I may find exceptions down the road. I have an
HD-PVR coming just in case :).

Erik