[mythtv-users] MKV files play without sound in Mythtv

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 10:35:11 UTC 2010

Hi

On 14 June 2010 10:59, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:
> MythTV users,
>
> I have Mythbuntu 10.04.
>
> I ripped a DVD using Handbrake into .mkv format, using the "lame" MP3
> encoder for sound.
>
> When I attempt to play the file within MythTV Internal player, I get no
> sound.

When you play that file with -v audio

what do you see, any obvious errors?

May be worth posting a ticket (though the audio layer has been mostly
entirely rewritten in trunk/0.24 ; and most issues people have
experienced earlier gone)

> On the same machine, if I close MythTV front end and play the files using
> VLC, Totem, or Mplayer, it plays fine.
>
> However, if I go into MythTV setup and select to use any one of those
> players in place of "Internal", I get no sound.

Are you using pulseaudio by any chance and configure myth to use alsa?

when you start myth, it suspends the puleaudio server, so external
player won't be able to play any audio while mythfrontend is running

> For some reason, the MythTV front end will not allow sound for MKV files.
> Other file typs, notably old AVI files, play fine.
>
> How do I get sound working consistently in MythTV so that it will play the
> sound in my MKV video files?

If using pulseaudio, and external player, set the environment variable
DEBUG_PULSE_AUDIO_ALSA_EMULATION

like
export DEBUG_PULSE_AUDIO_ALSA_EMULATION=1 ; mythfrontend

That will restore audio with external player