[mythtv-users] When HD is no longer "premium content"

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 14 13:37:25 UTC 2010

On Friday, June 11, 2010 01:26:22 pm Ben Kamen wrote:
> I remember reading a long article about Windows Vista and all it's controls
> to somehow prevent illegal copying of "premium content".
> (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)
>
> I bring this up because on of the questions raised to me by reading this
> (and I think the author mentions it) is that once everyone has HD (as an
> example), how premium is it?
>
> Why should we pay for cable in HD when HD OTA is free, the only thing we're
> getting is the pay channels.
>
> So I mention this here because one of the satellite TV networks is now
> transmitting HD for free.
>
> I think this will have interesting implications in other areas of the
> industry down the road if competition continues.
>
> And THAT's what I wanted to point out to this group.

Step One: Get the government to pass a law requiring everything to be "HD".

Step Two: Get the government to throw out consumer protections for "premium content".

Step Three: Get anything HD defined as "premium content".

Step Four: Rule the World, with pesky things like fair use thrown out the window.