[mythtv-users] [OT] Running a VNC server on :1 on Mythbuntu

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 17:59:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is slightly off topic, but I would like to start up a VNC server
> on :1 on my mythbuntu box.  I've installed vnc4server and edited
> ~/.vnc/xstartup so that it runs xinitrc, but when I do that, I get a
> 2nd instance of mythfrontend running on my :1 server.

This is all I use for my ~/.vnc/xstartup:

#!/bin/sh
xsetroot -solid black
export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-mythbuntu
export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-mythbuntu
exec startxfce4

does that do what you're looking for?  Then you just have to get your
vncserver to run at boot time, or whenever you ssh in and execute
vncserver(which is what I do).

When I'm done and don't want to consume the resources anymore, killall Xvnc4
(or Xvnc)