[mythtv-users] New mac mini The frontend for mythTV?

James Walker jameswalker at clear.net.nz
Wed Jun 16 00:31:00 UTC 2010

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:34 AM, James Walker <jameswalker at clear.net.nz>
> wrote:

>>> ...as fast as the CPU is on those boxes, it's somewhat moot. Rev C
>>> only adds divx and you can brute force that on an Atom. Nevermind
>>> a decent speed C2D.
>>>
>>>    Although there might be some more subtle benefits of a 320.
>>>
>>>    The last 2 revisions of the mini were no less suitable as Myth
>>> boxes..
>>>

>> The MacMini is a very slick looking little box. No doubt about it and
>> with
>> HDMI it is a very attractive option for a MythTV fronend.
>>
>> Another and perhaps cheaper option which I have and which just works and
>> works VERY well is an Asus EB1012. It spits out Video and Audio over
>> HDMI,
>> does 1080p with <30% cpu load.  Mythbuntu 64bit install with zero
>> hassles
>> off a bootable USB stick.
>
> It looks and specs like a dual core revo with the bonus of spdif. Are
> there any other significant differences?
>
> Mac Mini looks nice but is twice what i expect to pay and three times
> what I should be paying for a frontend.

I looked very hard at the Revo as it is a real contender on a technical
level. What finally pushed me to the EB1012 (Black coloured version) was
comments that it looks very slick and not at all plasticy while some
reviewers/commentators had made comments on the Revo looking a bit
plasticy. This is clearly a personal opinion thing so I would recommend
(if you have the option) try and see both units "in the flesh".

Another plus with the EB1012 is the massive number of outputs it has. As
noted there is spdif (optical version) plus arounf 6 USB ports and an
eSATA port. Then Gigabit LAN, Draft n Wireless, HDMI, VGA, mic/headset
jacks.  Like I have said a very nice machine. I've been so impressed my
second one should arrive today.

Cheers.