[mythtv-users] Little OT: RealTime Parallel Multi-PC Transcoding

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 09:01:12 UTC 2010

Hi

On 16 June 2010 02:22, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> In PAL-land, where I live, we've got 25fps and a GOP-size of 12frames.
> None of my DualCore CPU's can transcode, with ffmpeg, in realtime to desired
> h264 quality. But I do have 2 more DualCores sitting there doing nothing.

What quality is that ?

I'm asking, because for playing videos on my iPad, I use AirVideo.
It encodes on the fly using ffmpeg any mpeg2 or divx source into
1024x768 at their maximum quality sufficiently fast to play without
lag on a 2.6GHz Core2Duo.

When I queue an encoding for later watching, your typical 40 minutes
videos is encoded in about 20 minutes..

The result certainly looks good to my eyes
Jean-Yves