[mythtv-users] how to troubleshoot network congestion problems with mythtv [solved]

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Jun 16 14:38:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> I assume the Nintendo is using a wall-wart of some sort? You might try
> replacing it with a better quality power supply.

Yes, at least they do in the US. I believe the international versions just
have proper WWs for the locale. I bought a USB cable to charge mine from
EBay for about $5 shipped. Then you can use a nicer computer power supply to
see if that helps. I would expect that any third party WWs would be just as
bad for powerline networking. Probably purchased from the same cheap company
that supplied the official version to Nintendo.

Users that can't run some kind of dedicated networking cables will have more
and more problems like this. Internet stuff works fine for the most part,
but streaming high bitrate HDTV around is just not very friendly to these
technologies. With a shared, single-duplex medium that is much more
susceptible to interference, that's just how it is though. I expect that's
why some of the sat companies have started doing data transfers over the
coax between boxes. They know they can't guarantee the user experience over
wireless, powerline, etc.. 2.4Ghz is a mess, and if you have neighbors that
live close enough for signal overlap, it's even worse. Then you get the
WISPs going, if you happen to be unlucky enough to have one of their towers
nearby you basically lose all of 2.4Ghz to them. Thankfully the directional
antennas they use help if you don't have them next door. 5.8Ghz is close
behind, there are just less people that have the gear right now. Powerline
is unshielded, untwisted conductors. In radio, we call those antennas. :)
RFI filters on the incoming main line might help keep the worst of it out of
the house, but then the inside wiring will still pick up trash.

Those that have HD working over wireless now are lucky and don't have enough
RFI nearby to cause problems. As the tech gets cheaper and more people use
it though, I fully expect people will be on this list complaining about how
the wireless N that used to work fine stopped working all the sudden as a
neighbor installed another AP next door, likely on the same channel they
used because the other guy didn't know enough to run a signal check. :)