[mythtv-users] RAID 6 benchmarks

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Jun 16 15:23:00 UTC 2010

Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> says:
> Thanks for the write-up.  Were the underlying partitions aligned or did they
> started at sector 63 like default?

I am not using partitions, but the raw disks. mkfs.jfs does not have
options for stripe size.

> Also, did you consider re-doing the benchmark with ext4?  CentOS 5.5
> includes ext4 (Red Hat Tech Preview) and I wonder how it fares
> compared to JFS.

It didn't occur to me, but I've used JFS for years and would rather
not use a non fully-supported filesystem for my recordings anyway. (If
I were to do so I'd probably try btrfs when it arrives in CentOS 6.)

While I have the chance I might rerun the benchmarks with XFS, but
everything I've seen says it and JFS's speeds are very comparable.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg