[mythtv-users] OT: dead motherboard or video card?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 17:00:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 08:16 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 08:09:32 am bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:
>> > Get a live cd of any recent popular distro, boot up from that and
>> > compare that to what you now have.
>>
>> Probably the best way to go, short of replacing the mobo.
>
> I tried booting from the F13 install DVD. I see the initial grub screen,
> but shortly after that, the monitor puts up a warning that it cannot
> display and I never see anaconda, just a black screen. That never
> happened before either.

I have had two video cards fail on me due to overheating.  Both were
5200 series cards and one of them had burn marks on the heat sink
when I took it out.  I would be able to get console output but things
would screw up when X tried to load, so I think it was able to do
basic processing/output but no heavy lifting.  All my experience shows
is that just because you can see the initial grub screen does not mean
the video card is toast.  But if you have swapped out video cards, I
would suspect it is the slot and not the card.