[mythtv-users] Need help with mce usb remote control

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jun 16 21:46:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:27 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> replaced by a new mceusb driver... :)
>
> Is there any further information on this?  Is it a drop in replacement
> or a more substantial change breaking setups that have worked for
> years?

Both. Its a new driver written for the new ir-core infrastructure
we've been working on upstream. Default out of the box experience is
that the bundled RC6 remotes Just Work via the linux input layer --
i.e., they work without any lirc configuration work as well as without
even having lirc installed (we use an in-kernel RC6 IR decoder, then
pass along decoded key values via the input layer).

However, I've also written an ir-core to lirc_dev bridge driver that
allows you to use the device with lirc like you always have. To do
that, you'd probably want to disable the in-kernel decoding though --
which is as simple as echoing a value into /sys/class/rc/rcX/protocols
(there's some flux as to whether there will be protocol-specific
nodes, or a single node for all protocols, which you echo the protocol
name into...). I've got four different mceusb transceivers and several
remotes that all work perfectly with both in-kernel decoding and lirc
bridge mode (including transmit support). The fun can all be seen
here:

http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-ir-wip.git/?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/patches

--
Jarod Wilson