[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sat Jun 19 00:35:44 UTC 2010

On 06/18/2010 04:45 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 19 June 2010 06:55, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I did check those, and my amp does support them, and they work with the ALSA:default setting.
>

> sigh... once again:
>
> PULSE IS STEREO ONLY BY DEFAULT
> AC3, DTS won't work.

If Pulse is stereo only, please stop putting "by default" after it when you try and tell me that. To me "by default" implies I
can change it to operate as something other than stereo. "by default" to me means "this is what it will do if you don't do
anything to change it" eg "ls" will by default list the names of all the files & directories in the current directory, but "ls
- -l /etc" will give you a bunch of details about all the files in the /etc directory, the "-l /etc" changes the behavior away
from the default.

> Do NOT select 5.1 or 7.1 if you select pulse.
>
> And another thing because you seems to keep insisting otherwise:
> Do NOT select 7.1 with SPDIF

It is not clear what this option does in the menu. So far the only affect I have been able to determine is that changing it away
from stereo enables the selection of dolby digital and dts, and enables digital pass through. I haven't noticed any difference
between the 5.1 or 7.1 setting otherwise.
Since you tell me I should, I will set it to 5.1.

>> While mythfront end was running, I selected "Live TV" I got no audio, so I hit "esc".
>> I heard a pop from the speakers, so I hoped the audio system had self corrected so I selected "Live TV" again.
>> I still had no audio so I hit "esc" again, brought up the mixer app, clicked on the mute button on the master volume control
>> twice, then selected "Live TV" again.
>> This time I got sound.
>
>> This channel was doing Dolby Digital, so I switched to another channel that was not, then hit "esc" and closed mythfrontend.
>
> This is an issue with the ALSA drivers, that's the behaviour you saw
> earlier, it's still going to be like that after...
> Looks like your IEC958 device is muted by default....

I was mostly just trying to tell you what I as a user did while generating those log file, but ok.

> If you did what I've been trying to tell you from the beginning, it
> could solve your issue.
> Select the SPDIF port in the list of audio device.
> It's the IEC958 ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0 if using spdif

I just tried this setup again, and got the same results I had before
I set "Audio output device:" to ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
"Speaker configuration:" to 5.1
Dolby digital checked, DTS checked, PCM/Analog unchecked because I still have no idea what this means.

The results of this setup are that for channels not sending Dolby digital, it works, for channels sending Dolby digital, I get
digital noise.

This is why I keep setting it back to ALSA:default, it is the only setting I have tried that does Dolby digital pass through!

> or
> ALSA:front:card=HDMI if using the HDMI connection

I'm sorry, but I can not test the HDMI output as I have no device that will accept HDMI audio.

> and ... once again.
> PULSE IS STEREO ONLY BY DEFAULT
> AC3, DTS won't work.
>
> Do NOT select 5.1 or 7.1 if you select pulse.

If I can't do pass through with pulse audio, I won't be using pulse.