[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 02:27:44 UTC 2010

Hi

On 19 June 2010 10:35, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> If Pulse is stereo only, please stop putting "by default" after it when you try and tell me that. To me "by default" implies I
> can change it to operate as something other than stereo. "by default" to me means "this is what it will do if you don't do

This is to do with the pulseaudio server.. The configuration and
running of pulseaudio is completely outside the scope of mythtv..

the default configuration file of pulseaudio is done in /etc/pulse

> It is not clear what this option does in the menu. So far the only affect I have been able to determine is that changing it away
> from stereo enables the selection of dolby digital and dts, and enables digital pass through. I haven't noticed any difference
> between the 5.1 or 7.1 setting otherwise.
> Since you tell me I should, I will set it to 5.1.

I have explained what it does before...
But you are obviously only reading what you want, and it seems to be a
very selective filter.

> I was mostly just trying to tell you what I as a user did while generating those log file, but ok.

I haven't looked at your log, because it became clear to me that the
issues you were seeing were due to you using pulseaudio, and setting
it for AC3 passthrough, which it can't do

> I just tried this setup again, and got the same results I had before
> I set "Audio output device:" to ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
> "Speaker configuration:" to 5.1
> Dolby digital checked, DTS checked, PCM/Analog unchecked because I still have no idea what this means.

That's the right thing to do.
If you can come with a better explanation than what I put there, I'm all ears..

As I explained earlier, we are limited to what the software framework
let you do... Myth can makes some choice, but ultimately it relies on
the user to enter the proper configuration..
PCM/Analog as the description said (did you read it?) is there to
tells myth what the output medium supports: discrete multi-channel PCM
audio...
SPDIF only support stereo PCM.
Analog cards, with multi channels output, supports it.
For digital connection, only HDMI supports multichannel PCM output.
But not all amplifier supports it. For example, my yamaha amplifier,
while it has an hdmi input, it only supports stereo PCM. If I want
multi-channels, it has to be AC3 or DTS.

> The results of this setup are that for channels not sending Dolby digital, it works, for channels sending Dolby digital, I get
> digital noise.

Ok... now that's interesting.. and I would like to see the full log of
mythfrontend running with -v audio and trying to play a 5.1 audio
stream.

Also the output of
aplay -L
and aplay -l

> This is why I keep setting it back to ALSA:default, it is the only setting I have tried that does Dolby digital pass through!

then use ALSA:default :)

Do you have to sign all your messages with pgp?
I doubt anyone would try to pretend they are you when they post to
mythtv-users :)