[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) and diskless clients

German Rodriguez callmegar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 19:54:18 UTC 2010

I did this an run into several glitches

This is more or less what I did:

$ sudo aptitude install mythbuntu-diskless-server
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-diskless-server
$ sudo ltsp-build-client --mythbuntu
--mythbuntu-user-credentials="your-user-id-here:your-password-here"
--copy-package-lists --copy-sourceslist --accept-unsigned-packages

mount image

vi /etc/hosts
add: 192.168.1.10 mythserver

copy avenard.list (if using JYA's repository)

wget http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos/ubuntu-repos.key
sudo apt-key add ubuntu-repos.key && rm ubuntu-repos.key

sudo apt-get update
sudo aptitude full-upgrade

exit (unmount image)

sudo ltsp-update-image

vi /etc/default/tftpd-hpa  (broken)
add:
TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure"

create /var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlaycd
allow "*" in the export (broken)

add the following lines to /etc/gdm/custom.conf
 [daemon]
 AutomaticLoginEnable=true
 AutomaticLogin=german
 TimedLoginEnable=true
 TimedLogin=german

mount image

install ssh

sudo aptitude install  lirc nvidia-current
exit
unmount image

ltsp-update-kernels (a must)
ltsp-update-image

boot diskless

run nvidia-driver

usermod -a -G mythtv german
mythbuntu-lirc-generator
mythbuntu control centre (lirc broken, that's why I do it manually)
start mythfrontend at startup

copy mysql.txt from backend modify hostname to show IP
review the links from all the home directories mysql.txt should be a
link to /etc/mythtv

sudo apt-get install x11vnc vnc-java
x11vnc -storepasswd
vi /etc/init.d/vnc
add: x11vnc -forever -usepw -httpdir /usr/share/vnc-java/ -httpport 5800
chmod +x vnc
update-rc.d vnc defaults
vi /usr/share/mythtv/mythfrontend.sh
add: rm /home/german/.ICEauthority   (this is a must, broken)

boot

the killers where the removing of the .ICEauthority, installing
nvidia-current instead of GLX right from the start and updating the
kernel image as it blacklist nouveau which is a PITA and the --secure
options in TFTP which by some reason where removed and break the
diskless boot.

Regards.