[mythtv-users] Vuvuzela filter

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Jun 20 05:03:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Deyan <mythtv at bektchiev.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

>>> :)))
>>>
>>> In our research group we created a slightly more intricate filter (a
>>> kind of notched adaptive median filter). Video discussion on Reuters
>>> http://bit.ly/aXbN1y , webpage with open-source LADSPA plugin
>>> http://bit.ly/945qEG . In theory our filter should preserve more of
>>> the intelligibility of the other sources, but there may be some
>>> artefacts, so it's not clear which gives the better listening
>>> experience...
>>
>> Played with the 0.23-fixes patch today while watching Cameroon v.
>> Denmark today. Didn't really seem to make that much of a difference,
>> seemed to just dull all audio. Wondering if I did something wrong, or
>> if the 0.23 patch just isn't as functional as the trunk one... Or if I
>> just had unrealistic expectations.
>
> I also tried it earlier this week and the difference was not big at
> all. However on Monday or Tuesday I watched part of one of the games
> and one of the broadcasters said that ESPN was putting a filter on the
> Vuvuzela noise so the sound that we get in the US may already have a
> similar filter applied...

Heh, I'd actually kinda wondered about that, the racket hadn't sounded
as loud as I thought I remembered it being in the first few games.
Certainly would explain why it didn't seem to do much. Love me some
espn. Especially espn3 -- been streaming many of the games to my desk
at work... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com