[mythtv-users] MythNetvision and WMV

Richard Nickle ricknickle at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 14:11:31 UTC 2010

I have been working on a grabber for a newsfeed (HirTV, a
Hungarian all-news channel) and have been happy with my results so far.
After various missteps (and some misunderstanding of the documentation on the
Wiki), I have the grabber working.

The only issue, is that although I’m able to process one of these URLs
normally in firefox (after putting in some plugins), MythNetvision seems to
pass it the internal player and it seems to do something, just not display any
video (it puts up a progress bar and a blank screen.)

Here’s my ‘<item>’ entry:

<item>

    <title>mai hirek</title>

    <author></author>

    <pubDate>Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:00:00
GMT</pubDate>

    <description>http://www.hirtv.hu/filmek/hirado21/hirado20100613.wmv</description>

<link>http://www.hirtv.hu/filmek/hirado21/hirado20100613.wmv</link>

    <media:group>

      <media:content
url="http://www.hirtv.hu/filmek/hirado21/hirado20100613.wmv"/>

      <media:thumbnail
src="news.png"/>

    </media:group>

    <rating>5.0</rating>

  </item>

Is it okay to pass the URL like that?  I know the media:thumbnail is bogus (they don't have a thumbnail for this anyway.)   It occurs to me
that perhaps the capturing of the output from the plugin (or whatever) isn’t
being handled right.

 I'm looking to develop another couple of similar grabber for other Hungarian websites.  It seems like the same web designer worked on several of them because they all have similar designs and all store their content in WMV.  I don't see other MythNetvision grabbers currently that seem to work with anything but sites serving flash (which seems to work well.)   Anybody else using this tool with non-flash sites?

Thanks!

Rick

ricknickle at hotmail.com