[mythtv-users] Considering switching to Dish Network from cable

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 20:54:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Monday, June 21, 2010 02:08:12 pm Phil Bridges wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the response.  I noticed they had those funky HD / SD
> > boxes.  I planned on getting a couple Solo VIP 211Ks to run
> > independently.
>
> That's a good way to go. To make sure they don't try to stick you with a
> single dual-channel receiver tell them you need
> to have HD on both "sets", or that there is a problem running cable to the
> second "set".
>
> There's nothing inherently wrong with the dual-channel units. I use the
> second channel of my 722 to feed SD to my Mom next
> door, using the UHF modulator, which works fine for SD. If you need HD the
> second output is useless, and, as I said, has to
> be controlled by RF. As long as you understand and can live with the
> limitations, the dual units are OK.

Darn, I was hoping that I could hook the Component HD out to an HDPVR and
the SD out for TV2 to an older PVR150 to help with conflicts.  I did see
that you can get a converter from IR to uhf for about $50 here
http://www.dishdepot.com/remotes.jsp . But at that price, it probably makes
sense just to get 2 single boxes.

Bill