[mythtv-users] Lirc_serial and mceusb

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jun 22 01:36:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 01:57, Joseph Flack <jflackmd at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a Fedora 13 box that I would like to run a usb receiver and a IR
>> blaster on my serial port. My bios reports one serial port is installed.
>> IRQ 4.
>>
>> I set up a lirc.conf in /etc/modules.d/ reading as follows:
>> alias char-major-61-0 mcesb
>> alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial
>> options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
>> install lirc_serial setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ; /modprobe
>> --ignore-install lirc_serial
>>
>> I put the following line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>>
>> /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=lirc_serial --device=/dev/lirc1 \
>> --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd1 --pidfiles=/var/run/lirc/lircd1.pid

>> My output:
>>
>> ls -la /dev/lir*
>> crw-rw---- 1 root root 249, 0 Jun 21 20:13 /dev/lirc0

>> lsmod | grep lirc
>> lirc_mceusb 16308 0
>> lirc_dev 12221 1 lirc_mceusb
>
> Where are you loading lirc_serial?

Yeah, what Nick said. This is one of many reasons why I'd like to just
take lirc_serial out behind the shed and shoot it: there's absolutely
no support for it being auto-loaded by standard means, it always has
to be manually loaded, either by hand, or by hard-coding something
somewhere. For Fedora, drop a script in /etc/sysconfig/modules/, about
like so:

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules
#!/bin/sh

/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none >/dev/null 2>&1
/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial >/dev/null 2>&1

(Much as I hate it, I *am* still running a serial transmitter there
myself, mostly out of laziness, as I have at least 6 or 7 other
usb-based transmitters, none of which require such hackery as above...
:)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com