[mythtv-users] Considering switching to Dish Network from cable

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 13:38:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>wrote:

> Has anybody here done this switch?

HI Phil,

  I've actually don the reverse, gone from Dish SD to FiOS HD, but I can
help in some ways, as my switch is at least similar.

> I was hoping to pick up 2 HD
> tuners and 2 HD-PVRs to connect them to.  Anything I should look out
> for?

  I now have two FiOS HD tuners, and 2 HD-PVRs.  Things work great!!!  I
setup UDEV rules to ensure that the HDPVRs don't 'switch' locations
depending on when UDEV decides to detect them.

> Is the HD-PVR IR Blaster working properly through Myth?

  With recent kernels, I believe so, but Jarod would be able to answer that
better...

> Should I
> anticipate problems if I use 2 HD-PVRs with blasters on the same
> backend?

  I'm not sure about this either, but again, I'm sure Jarod would know...
;-)

  I can hood the IR blasters on the fronts of the Dish

> receivers, so I'm not concerned about that part of it.

  That wouldn't be necessary actually, as Dish receivers can be set to 16
different IR remote control code sets.  I was actually using 3 receivers
with one IR blaster in my SD setup.

  I'm short on time right now, but would be happy to share how to setup the
udev rules for the HD-PVRs and the lirc configuration for Dish receivers.

J-e-f-f-A