[mythtv-users] How to shutdown combined fe/be machine from the front panel switch?

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:12:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Patrick Doyle wrote:
>>
>> I've specifically disabled the exit command from mythfrontend -- again
>> I didn't want my family to exit out of myth and then not be able to
>> restart it.
>>
>> I am curious why the front-panel power button doesn't "work".
>>
>> My definition of "work":
>> Pressing the power button should generate an event.
>> XFCE has a configuration item for what to do when it gets a power-off
>> event
>> but XFCE doesn't include "shut down" as one of the options
>>
>> I'm curious to learn why "shut down" isn't one of the options for
>> responding to one of the power-off events.  Is that a Mythbuntu
>> customization?  Is that a feature that was added to the GUI since
>> Ubuntu 9.10?
>>
> My minimyth front-end responds to a blip on the power button to tidily shut
> the front end down. So does the workstation I use as an occasional
> front-end. In fact, thinking about it, the master back-end does as well.
> (Having said that, the last two run Mandriva.)
>
> You must have some Ubuntu/Mythbuntu weirdness.
Hi Mike,
That's good information... can I ask what distribution and release
you're running on your frontend?  I've been poking around a little
more and it seems that something may have changed in Ubuntu 9.10.
9.10 starting using DeviceKit-Power instead of HAL, and it seems that
DeviceKit-Power doesn't handle shutdown events.  I keep saying "seems"
because I'm still trying make sense of the breadcrumbs I've stumbled
across so far.

--wpd