[mythtv-users] Recording Priority = 99 not a trump all?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 22 20:17:41 UTC 2010

On 06/22/2010 04:11 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:
> On 06/22/2010 12:52 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>
>> I've set a rule to record the World Cup games with priority at 99, yet
>> there are things Myth is scheduling to record instead with much lower
>> priority. Yes, the games are being replayed and Myth scheduled the
>> replayed games, but how do I tell myth to record these games first,
>> even if something else won't record?
>>
> I've seen other things that make believe the priority scheme is broken. I've given all of my SD stations for which I have HD
> equivalents a priority of -10. And yet I see the SD stations scheduled for recording when the same show is available in HD on 3
> tuners with no conflicts.
> I finally went and disabled all SD channels for which I had HD equivalents.
>
> At the moment, MythTV is scheduled to record two copies of the same show on the same channel at the same time on different
> tuners (one on cable, one OTA). The channel numbers are the same and the channel names are the same.

All I'm willing to say at this point (because I don't have time for the
usual argument with 100 users) is that priority is not /when/ to record
nor /where/ to record.  Priority is simply /what/ to record.  MythTV is
recording what you want (within the constraints you've applied***), so,
there's nothing broken.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html

Mike

***One very important constraint being:
Reschedule higher priorities
Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
conflicts. This can be used to record lower priority programs that would
otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority program
if the schedule changes.