[mythtv-users] HDPVR for $169 at buy.com

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 20:49:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:33:04 pm Ajay Sharma wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Does a Roku have HD component outputs or only hdmi?
> >
> > The Roku HD model has component outputs:
> >
> > http://www.roku.com/roku-products
>
> It does, but I question calling something "HD" when it apparently can't
> handle 1080i.
>
> The specs on the Roku site say it can do 480i/720p, the latter being
> technically "HD", but a lot of media players are
> available that can do at least 1080i, and some of them do 1080p.
>
> Does anyone know if the Roku will play a 1080i file from a UPnP server? Can
> it play files shared on your network? (Samba or
> NFS)? Their site is a little lean on specs.

The Roku only offers content via it's "channels".  This typically includes
providers like Netflix, Amazon VOD, or MLB.TV among others.  There are
third-party channels available for the Roku such as Roksbox

http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/

which offers a media streamer application on the platform.  For supported
video types see here:

http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/ConvertFiles

But it looks like it is still limited to 720p content based on that
information.

Kevin