[mythtv-users] HDPVR sale at newegg

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:05:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:57 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:01:45AM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> > I'm considering picking one up.  Can anyone tell me if support for
> > recording closed captions has been added yet?
>
> The HD-PVR can't record closed captions because there aren't any in
> composite video.  It *might* work for s-video input, but why would
> anyone use an HD-PVR for s-video recording.
>
> David

If both composite (or s-video) and component inputs were connected, the
HD-PVR could encode the video from the component inputs with the CC from the
composite input.  If the hardware allowed both data paths to be active at
once and the firmware took advantage of this.  No idea if this is the case.

-Jerry