[mythtv-users] How to get multiple IR transmitters running

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 01:39:15 UTC 2010

On 22 June 2010 21:44, Ben Eisemann <ben at locojeeper.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm still fighting with the fall out of the Comcast digital conversion
> in my area. I gave up on getting IguanaIR to control my two Comcast
> supplied adapters (DTA100's).  IguanaIR worked fine with one, but
> choked on two at a time.
>
> Anywho, I added a PCIe 4-port serial card and two serial IR
> transmitters... hoping that would be the *easy* road.  I got one
> working fairly easily via the mythbuntu wizard and some command line
> testing with ir_send.  However, my searching has not revealed a
> straight answer as to how to get the second one cooking.
>
> Do I need to compile a seperate instance of lirc_serial?

Yes you will, as Tony mentioned in his reply. I provide the following
link [1], as it gives a walkthrough of what you need(ed) to do when
building a second instance of LIRC. It was written for an older
version of LIRC, so I can't say whether it will still work. But the
theory is still the same - you need to alter the names of
modules/variables in a checkout of the LIRC source code to build an
identical but renamed version that doesn't conflict with the existing
installation of LIRC.

[1] http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

Cheers,
Nick