[mythtv-users] Scheduling bug? Two episodes at same time

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 23 04:38:53 UTC 2010

On 06/22/2010 11:53 PM, Len Reed wrote:
> On 06/22/2010 10:52 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> <cut off all quotations to fix top posting>
>>
>> On 06/22/2010 10:22 PM, Len Reed wrote:
>>> Definitely a bug, or perhaps one could argue it's a limitation in the
>>> database schema design. I worked around this by manually changing the
>>> starttime on the duplicate entries. For example, the starttime for USA
>>> vs. Algeria is '2010-06-23 09:30:00' (standard) but the starttime for
>>> England vs Slovia is now one second later ('2010-06-23 09:30:01').
>>> Everything appears as if it will work correctly, but I can't know
>>> until tomorrow morning.
>>>
>>> Changing the starttime also untangled the confusion I was seeing with
>>> overrides. With standard startttimes, overriding one game ("do not
>>> record") would X out both games at that time. My guess (without
>>> delving into the code) is that the database operations assume that
>>> rule+starttime is unique.
>>>
>>> Just to make this fun, the schedule provider changed the title for all
>>> games from "2001 World Cup Soccer" to "FIFA Copa Mundial". Had I not
>>> done a full refresh due to a mysql mishap that would have trickled in
>>> over days. (Stupid me, not doing a database backup before using mysql,
>>> but it worked out to my benefit.) Any way, I've turned off updating
>>> and EIT for the next days.
>>
>> Your posts so far have said that the 2 shows /you're looking at/ are not
>> the same. Something else is happening. If MythTV says it's recording one
>> of the shows at some other time, it's recording one of the shows at some
>> other time, and you're ignoring that later showing that /is/ the same
>> show.
>
> It's not recording at a later time, etc. Think about it: the Upcoming
> Recordings marks later recordings with 'L' not 'O'.
>
>> Show me the output I mentioned (ideally without your database edits) and
>> I'll prove there's no bug. It's /definitely/ not a "limitation in the
>> database schema design". From what you've said, I have no reason to
>> believe that it's anything other than user misunderstand of what's
>> actually happening.
>
> I've been using mythtv for years and fully understand one-time versus
> channel versus any-time-on-any-channel rules. My sole "FIFA Copa
> Mundial" rule is any-time-on-any=channel, with standard duplicate
> matching. (Turning off all duplicate matching makes no difference.)
>
> The output you've requested (attached) won't help you much, since it
> doesn't show the unscheduled 34_2 broadcasts.

What in the world is an "unscheduled 34_2 broadcast"?  If the scheduler
doesn't know about a show, it will not record it.  The --printsched
output seems to confirm that the scheduler either does not know about
the 2010-06-23 09:30:00 "Fase de Grupos: Eslovenia vs. Inglaterra"
episode or it doesn't match your recording rule (i.e. its title isn't
"FIFA Copa Mundial" or you're using a custom rule that excludes too many
things or you've marked the rule as "Exclude old episodes" or
something).  Otherwise, it would show in --printsched output (which
shows all matches--not just the ones that will record).

> It also truncates the subtitles to "Fase de Grupos " though the full
> subtitles include the team names.  I deleted all rows in the program
> table and refreshed the from Schedules Direct before producing these
> attachments; i.e., my database edits are gone.
>
> I've attached some info from the program table which shows that there
> are no alternate showings. Note how the "Eslovenia vs. Inglaterra"
> game is only shown once. It should not conflict with "Estados Unidos"
> (USA) but it does until I gimmick the starttime.
>
> Your no-bug theory also doesn't explain the following: in the upcoming
> recordings screen it shows the 34_1 game (USA tomorrow) and the 34_2
> game (England) with the former as '1' (tuner 1) and the latter as 'O'
> (recording at the same time on a different channel). If I select the
> USA game and override it with "don't record", BOTH go to 'X'! That
> simply can't happen without some kind of underlying bug/confusion.
>
> Your theory also doesn't explain how changing the starttime by one
> second could fix things for me. If this were merely a program with
> later showings, that shouldn't make a difference.
>
> I can only conclude that scheduling is assuming that starttime plus
> the rule is unique. In most cases, that's true. (In five years I've
> never seen this.) It's not true here.

Well, it doesn't--MythTV can record as many matches of a rule exist at
any given time, provided you have sufficient inputs to do so.  I just
tested on my system and it shows 2 (different episodes) of the
same-titled show airing on different channels, both recording with the
same starttime and endtime, as matched by a single recording rule.

The problem here seems to be that the episode you're interested in is
not matching the rule.  So, look closely at your rule to find out why
it's not matching, or send more details of how exactly you've configured
the rule.

See, also,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/377217#377217 .  If
you have multiple video sources, you may just be seeing the wrong
information (though something is /definitely/ preventing that episode
from showing in the --printsched output, so if it's not all the
direct-DB editing and stuff you've done to try to "fix" the problem, if
it was the multiple video sources thing, it's now something else).

Again, I'm pretty sure there's no bug here--just something else going on
that we're not recognizing.

Mike