[mythtv-users] Recording Priority = 99 not a trump all?

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Wed Jun 23 19:30:27 UTC 2010

On 06/23/2010 12:13 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Douglas Peale
> <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net <mailto:Douglas_Peale at comcast.net>> wrote:
>

>     This does not answer my question.
>
>     if I select "Record this showing", I might as well be using an old
>     dumb VCR.
>
>     The problem has never been conflicts. I have 5 tuners in my system.
>     The lower priority channels it has chosen have been on the
>     same tuner as a higher priority HD channel. At the time, multi-rec
>     was not enabled. The event was scheduled as "record at any
>     time on any channel" I would assume that it should pick the higher
>     priority channel when it has a choice of two channels on the
>     same tuner, but this is not what happens.
>
>     I will ask again:
>
>     What is the intent of tuner priority, and channel priority?
>

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Scheduler#Priority
>
> Tuner priority will cause the scheduler to prefer a specific input when
> assigning recordings.  All other priority values are a lump sum of total
> priority used to determine what to record, as I understand it.  In that
> case, channel priority is just another mechanism to increase the total
> priority of a recording.
>
> Kevin

Then I did understand the priority scheme correctly, and the priority scheme is broken.
By setting all SD versions of channels at a priority of -10, there should have been no circumstances where an SD channel was
chosen over an HD channel since all of the SD versions were on tuners with equivalent HD versions.

I have worked around this bug by disabling the SD versions. I don't like this workaround though, because when Comcast plays
musical channels again it will be hard to notice that the hidden channels have changed since they are hidden.