[mythtv-users] Netgear EVA9150 and MythTV

Jason Ward jasonfward at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 23:32:00 UTC 2010

On 24 June 2010 00:13, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 6/23/2010 18:37, Jason Ward wrote:

>>> Yes, I did mean *run*, any reason why you say "no chance at all"?  I'm
>>> pretty certain its base OS is Linux already, and its clearly capable
>>> of video playback including HD (so I'd hope playback performace should
>>> MythTV ever be able to run on the device would be great).
>>>

>> I can confirm indeed the Netgear EVA9150 runs Linux, the source code
>> can be downloaded here
>>

> It all boils down to available power, and that device simply doesn't have
> it.  It's probably running some sort of ARM with limited memory and an
> embedded video decoder.  MythTV cannot use the video decoder, wants more
> memory than the device provides, and takes more power to run the UI than
> that has available.

Digging deeper http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/multimedia-voip/multimedia-voip-reviews/30802-netgear-eva9150-digital-entertainer-elite-reviewed
the EVA9150 does apear to be powered by Sigma device, the SMP8634
apparently http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products.php?id=59.  From my
limited understanding (almost none) it says all the right words.

"The SMP8634 provides a highly-integrated solution for products
requiring high-definition MPEG-4.10 (H.264), SMPTE 421M (VC-1), WMV9,
MPEG-4.2, and MPEG-2 decoding."

However "MythTV cannot use the video decoder", so I guess the right
words in this case are not the right words and it only has "256 MB of
RAM" again apparently.

*sigh* oh well, I guess my introduction to Linux via hacked routers
(which have almost no cpu power and barely any ram at all) has left me
in the hope/view that anything that runs Linux can be made to run a
hacked/better version.

Jason