[mythtv-users] Recording Priority = 99 not a trump all?

Thomas Mashos tgm4883 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 01:02:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Jason Ward <jasonfward at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24 June 2010 01:06, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:

>> 0.

>> SD

>> > Well, more precisely, David said that when users have the setting I
>> > mentioned way back in the 3rd post in this thread (
>> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/441014#441014 )
>> > enabled, one of its effects is to disable best-fit scheduling and,
>> > instead, use first-fit scheduling in some circumstances.
>> >
>> > In other words, the setting he meant by, "SchedMoveHigher," is actually,
>> > "Reschedule higher priorities."

>> is
>> >
>> > Exactly.  And, more importantly, as the user configured it to work.

>> > Which is why we have a setting that you can disable (in mythfrontend
>> > settings, Utilities/Setup|Setup|TV Settings|Recording Priorities,
>> > IIRC).  The default is that "Reschedule higher priorities" is enabled
>> > because we got far more users complaining that MythTV wasn't recording
>> > everything they wanted than users complaining that they don't get a show
>> > they want until its second airing.
>> >
>> > Again, this is all explained very nicely in
>> > http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html .  Note, also--as I've
>> > said /way/ too many times--anyone who modifies /any/ priority other than
>> > recording rule priorities should read and understand that entire section
>> > before doing so.  (And, after reading it, you'll likely see that you
>> > don't want to modify other priorities.)
>> >
>> > Mike
>>

>> If I read those correctly, once the scheduler has decided that show X (say
>> "NCIS") has the highest priority and should be
>> scheduled next, it arbitrarily and randomly chooses a channel & tuner from
>> those not currently scheduled for something else that
>> is capable of receiving the particular show, completely ignoring channel
>> priority and tuner priority.
>>

> No.  You don't seem to be reading what more than one person including David
> have said: Which is if you have YOURSELF selected the option to reschedule
> higher priority items to make way for lower priority items that would not
> otherwise be recorded, then one of the effects of YOUR SELECTION is that the
> scheduler moves to first fit.  If you want best fit, then disable the option
> to reschedule higher priority items which is the default.
>
> Jason

I'll throw my 2 cents in since I haven't fully understood how the scheduler
works and it looks like past information is getting forgotten about.

@Douglas

I doubt it is randomly choosing a tuner to use. Likely it is selecting the
first available tuner, which may be SD. As said before, do the "mythbackend
-v
schedule --testsched"

@Jason
IIRC, he said that with no other shows recording, and only one scheduled
(NCIS), and that show being on 7 different channels at that time, that
MythTV selected his SD channel over the HD ones. Without any conflicts
(since there were 0 other shows recording), why did it choose SD?

I've read elsewhere that you need to add the tuners in the backend in a
specific order. I wonder if the scheduler is selecting tuner #1 (which the
show is on) which happens to be a SD tuner and then doesn't try any others?