[mythtv-users] Netgear EVA9150 and MythTV

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:14:43 UTC 2010

> I'm not aware of any successful Myth install on an ARM, but I suppose someone may have done it by now.
>
> If anyone's aware of Myth running on non-Intel CPUs (ARM or MIPS) I'd be very interested.

I'm running 0.23 BE on an ARM SheevaPlug right now. I had to pass
armv5te to the Myth ./configure script but other than that it compiled
and runs normally. I also ran the FE briefly just to confirm
functionality (via vncserver as the Sheeva has no display hardware)
and it successfully played a 720p recording (at about 1fps of course).
IMHO small low-power devices like this make ideal Myth BE servers
because they are low-power, low-heat, tiny, and silent. Just don't try
to do commflagging or transcoding on these little guys. ;)

> and it only has "256 MB of
> RAM" again apparently.

I dunno, my 0.21 FE ran just fine for about a year with 224MB RAM
(32MB for shared video) and NO swapfile (NFS-root). When I finally
upgraded to 448MB (64MB shared) it didn't make any functional
difference, only in 'top'. And my 0.21 BE is still only 256MB.

Myth seems to do pretty well on limited hardware if you split it out
to FE-only and BE-only.