[mythtv-users] HDPVR for $169 at buy.com

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jun 24 21:45:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 01:13:38PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> > From anecdotal evidence on this forum, good luck getting a Cablecard that actually works with that gadget...
>
> I suspect that your evidence is skewed.  Silicon Dust has shown
> themselves to be a competent company and if TiVo can pull it off I
> have every confidence that SD can do it as well.

    It's not a problem of technology. It's a problem of policy.

    The industry doesn't really want an open standard for cable. That's
why CableCard has been such a mess, why it's such a bother to be able to
even make a device and why there aren't really PC devices available yet
despite the HD-PVR starting to get downright old at this point.

    The people that own the standard simply don't want it to fullfill
it's promise or it's government mandate.

[deletia]

    When I finally see one of these in Frys, I will stop thinking of
it as vaporware.