[mythtv-users] Purchase options for Myka clearance?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 24 22:13:22 UTC 2010

On Thursday, June 24, 2010 03:52:24 pm Romain Kang wrote:
> I'm hoping Brian or some other Myka users can answer...
>
> The Myka clearance unit is priced at $89 as a bare networked media tank.
>
> The $95 option for the 1TB disk "adds Myka software", but I don't
> exactly what benefit you get from getting their drive instead of
> purchasing one from a local vendor.

You get the "Myka software", as you said, which adds some functionality to the basic NMT. Since my unit came with all of
that, it's hard for me to know what is the "basic NMT" functionality and what's added with the Myka software. I have sent
Myka an email asking for some details on this, I'll post the results when I get a reply.

Myka is running a web-based portal or some sort, which is almost certainly a part of the Myka software, I never use it so
I can't really say how useful it might be. I know it gives you a "10-foot interface" to a lot of web content, nothing you
can't get in other ways, but it makes it convenient to access it. Offhand I recall YouTube, Revision3 and a few dozen other
video sources, none of which I find very useful.

I mainly use the Myka to watch UPnP servers, mainly PlayOn for HuLu, TV.com, PBS, Discovery and other web-sourced video,
and I use the NFS client to access the media stored on my NAS. It has a Samba client as well, but again I don't know if
that is a part of the basic NMT or not.

I think the BitTorrent client is part of the Myka software, but I'm not sure, as I said I'll wait on a reply to my
question to them. It has an interface to find and download Torrents, I've not used that except to test a couple of known to
be legal torrent DLs (Elephant's Dream), as a test.

> Does the unit support only the $40 USB WiFi NIC listed as an option,
> or will it recognize most standard chipsets?

The original Myka I purchased came with a TP-Link TL-WN821N USB unit (which I never use). I think I read somewhere that
the Myka's firmware would only support a limited set of devices, but I don't know what that set might include.

I've never used a bare NMT, so again it's hard for me to know what is what, but I ordered an $89 bare NMT, so I should
know more when I receive that.

I realize this doesn't give you many answers, but I should have more info soon. You can probably find more answers by
perusing the Myka forums.