[mythtv-users] HD-PVR and standard-def (was Always use the HD PVR and retire my PVR 250, or continue to use both in same recording group)

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:57:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:

> (this might be hijacking this thread a little, sorry in advance)
>
> I've been thinking about getting an HD-PVR.  And if some channels
> aren't in "HD", does that mean there's no component output for those
> channels?  And you can only capture those channels via s-video?  I'm
> asking because I was always under the impression that I could go:
> STB->HD-PVR->MythTV and capture everything that the STB was receiving.

Up to the STB, but I have never seen a STB not put out all content via
component, if the STB has component outputs.  No one would put up with
having to change inputs on their TV every time they change channels!

Some STBs force you to lock the resolution to a single value.  Other
STBs will output whatever the native resolution of the channel is.
Some STBs give you the choice of either locking the resolution, or
dynamically changing it based on the channel.

Directv STBs, for example, give you the choice.  For example, you
could tell it that your "TV" can accept 480i and 720p, but not 480p
and 1080i, and the STB will then choose 480i for 480i content, and
720p for either 720p or 1080i channels.

>  From your email, I'm assuming that you have to maintain a method to
> record SD video as well.

James' email is talking about continuing to use a different capture
device for standard-def channels.  Only reason to do that, is you
wanted to preserve closed-captions on those channels.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?