[mythtv-users] vdpau problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 25 18:24:29 UTC 2010

On Friday, June 25, 2010 10:13:00 am James Orr wrote:

> > > Time for a new card then!
> >
> > If you want to waste a lot of money, otherwise I'd just replace the fan.
> > Most I have seen on graphics cards are easily
> > replaceable. The hard part is finding a new one, but a diligent search
> > should find one.
>
> Yeah, but I want it quickly, so I've ordered a new card from amazon with
> next day shipping through amazon prime (I love that service!).  This one
> has an actual HDMI with spdif pass through whereas my current card is just
> using DVI to HDMI cable, so there are other advantages to this card than
> just getting a new one.
>
> It is kind of a pain though, I've just had to replace a faulty motherboard
> on my slave backend, seems like all these hardware faults are hitting me at
> once.

The ghost of Edsel Murphy rises again.

At least you are getting something better than what you had.

It really frustrates me when I have to replace multi-hundred dollar devices just because the maker wanted to save a few
cents on a fan.

Decent fans are available, but no manufacturer seems to be aware of that, they want to cheap out any way they can.

They know that no potential buyer will make a decision based on the quality of the fans, or the PSU, another favorite way
for the OEMs to save money.