[mythtv-users] Always use the HD PVR and retire my PVR 250, or continue to use both in same recording group

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 04:20:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:22 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
>> > John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> says:
>> >
>> > Speaking of bitrates, how optimal are the settings in the default
>> > HD-PVR recording profile? Is there room to tweak them, or are they
>> > about as good as VBR bitrates for the device can get?
>>
>> I am not even sure what the current defaults are.  I have been using
>> my HD-PVRs since before Myth had defaults for the HD-PVR :-)
>>
>> As far as what the defaults should be, that is a good question.  I
>> would assume most people using the HD-PVR are more concerned with
>> quality than file size.  Personally, I use max bitrate VBR by default,
>> and max bitrate CBR for "high quality" (e.g. sports events).
>>

> That's actually a good idea, though I'd probably do it the other way around
> (CBR for shows/movies and VBR for sports and maybe documentaries).

So, you would use "high quality" for shows/movies, and "default" for
sports.  Or, I suppose you could use CBR as the "default" mode, and
VBR in the "low quality" mode.

> The defaults on the HD-PVR were ...
>
> Low Avg - 4,500, Low Max - 6,000
> Med. Avg - 9,000, Med. Max - 11,000
> High Avg. - 13,500, High Max - 20,200

Low, Med, High meaning "out of the box" default mode rates for 480i,
720p and 1080i, right?  Do you know what the "high quality" is set to
"out of the box"?

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.