[mythtv-users] weather.com Terms of Use

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 17:42:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Jason Ward <jasonfward at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 June 2010 14:35, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>

>> > "You may not modify, publish, transmit, display, participate in the
>> transfer
>> > or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the
>> content,
>> > in whole or in part."
>> >
>> > MythWeather considers itself a derivative work.

Additionally...  "You may not ...  display .. any of the content, in whole
or in part."

Obviously, using a web browser is what they intended this data to be used
for, and if displayed from their site, obviously the TOS are likely to apply
as they have written permission from themselves.  Retargeting the data to be
used in a standalone app, downloaded and displayed on TVs does NOT fit their
TOS as it's written.

> I see no reason from what has been posted here why MythWeather needed to be
> touched or altered.

Well, it's been discussed, and until we get explicit permission to use it, I
am not planning on adding it back.  However, I do have a replacement in
mind...  It should hopefully be in place in a few days.  Patience.