[mythtv-users] Upgrading, renaming, and splitting roles--best procedure to migrate DB

Jonathan Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 28 18:15:45 UTC 2010

I've got 3 boxes currently running KnoppixMyth with .21-fixes. Each box has local recording storage and 3 PVR-150s. The first box in the stack acts as MBE, but is otherwise identical to the other 2.

I'm in the process of upgrading from .21 to .23, and I want to preserve the recording portions of the DB, but I'm also wanting to move the role of MBE/DB host off the recording boxes and onto a separate server. This will involve a (partial?) hostname change for the (new) MBE--i.e. the tuners and storage will stay on the recording servers, but the DB and all associated references (such as storage groups) would change to the new MBE.

I know that a full restore is highly recommended, but I haven't found any instructions for performing a 'selective' hostname change necessary to separate the MBE/SBE roles during restore, so I figure I'll need to do this process manually before restoring the backup to the new MBE.

Can anyone point me to a list of which tables would contain 'MBE-associated' data--I know of two already: "storagegroup" and "settings" Any others?

Note: I don't use any plugins beyond mythweb, so I'm only concerned with the 'core' MythTV data.

Any better ideas?

TIA,

Jon