[mythtv-users] Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 23:22:40 UTC 2010

Thanks for every post! I have lots of information to start with it. I
ama  Debian user, I will install on Squeeze with debian-multimedia
sources.

So first I will buy a 2,5 SATA drive to /, any recomendation?
(capacity, rpm, file system type, ...)

About the 1TB drive, I found this interesting link:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance#Combat_Fragmentation_2

Which is the best way to format the drive on Debian in XFS?

Thank you very much, I have lots of work to do.

Kind regards.

2010/6/28 Jake <jakeisawake at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your replyes, I am not any expert on this, so I must read
>>> lots before start to config the partition, I used to select automatic
>>> partition on my last Debian installs.
>>>
>>> For the second drive, ¿which will be the ideal one? ¿SSD? My HTPC has
>>> a small box, so it will be 2,5 inches, it is SATA.
>>

>> SSD is overkill, but would work well. If you need a 2.5, a basic laptop HDD
>> will work fine as well. I used an old 40G IDE drive from a TiVo and it
>> worked great. Boot was a little slow, but still plenty quick and I didn't
>> see it waiting on the DB much. Recordings should go on a dedicated drive,
>> you will be much happier as you start loading the system down with
>> recordings and such. I had to switch after the fact, much harder than doing
>> it right the first time.
>>
>> I don't really recommend the slowest drive you can find either, but I had
>> the 40G sitting in a box and wanted to see if it would help. It did. For the
>> 1TB, I would do a single partition, XFS with the parameters mentioned on the
>> wiki. Personally, I would skip LVM on a drive for recordings. You don't need
>> it and it's another layer for the data to go through. If you want to expand,
>> all you need to do is add another drive or replace the existing one with a
>> file copy before starting Myth again. Another benefit to using the whole
>> drive for recordings only. :)
>>

> i totally support the above two recommendations. no need for LVM as
> myth now supports multiple directories for everything. XFS is a good
> choice but just be aware that you can't shrink an XFS partition if
> that ever is an issue. even though myth supports media in multiple
> directories you can always use aufs if you want an easier file system
> to browse!
>
> as for the distro choice, i am a debian user tracking testing and you
> should have no more trouble installing and using myth than on another
> distro. if you're a debian user and are looking for mythtv packages
> you should know about http://debian-multimedia.org/ if you don't
> already.  if you want to build from source apt-get build-dep mythtv
> should bring in all the required dev packages but to run myth you
> probably have to manually install a few things (mysql?)  good luck!
>
> hth and welcome to the mythtv community!

Josu Lazkano