[mythtv-users] HDPVR, 0.23-fixes: encoding errors

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 13:51:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Steven Sartorius
<ssartor at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2010, at 8:24 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course, you also need to make sure it is really on /dev/video0.
>> Some people have reported that the driver indicates that the HD-PVR is
>> attached to /dev/video0 when in fact it is on /dev/video2 (or some
>> other combination).  I have never experienced this myself.
>>
>> Mine said /dev/video8 in dmesg when it was actually /dev/video2.  Weird stuff.  I think maybe the 8 may have been in reference to the minor number of the device itself, which is a minor bug in the logging (heh).
>
> I am able to make recordings off of /dev/video0, the problem is that they're unwatchable.  Both audio and video are choppy which makes sense in light of what I'm seeing in the logs; the connection between the HDPVR and computer keeps going up and down.  Seems like a usb problem to me...

Could be.  When I first got my HD-PVR two years ago, I had lots of
problems until I upgraded to a new motherboard.  The USB ports on my
old Intel 875P chipset motherboard caused problems with the HD-PVR.
Since then I have been using a P45 chipset motherboard and it has
worked well.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.