[mythtv-users] Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 29 16:10:33 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 09:51:14 am Andre wrote:
> On 29 Jun 2010, at 00:22, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> > Thanks for every post! I have lots of information to start with it. I
> > ama  Debian user, I will install on Squeeze with debian-multimedia
> > sources.
> >
> > So first I will buy a 2,5 SATA drive to /, any recomendation?
> > (capacity, rpm, file system type, ...)
>
> Whatever is a good price because whatever you have will be much bigger than
> you need, 40GB is probably the smallest you will find new. If you want to
> run some other things maybe bigger is useful? The database will be much
> quicker when it's on a separate drive to recordings so even a 4200rpm is
> probably good, 5400 is the normal though. I would get a single platter
> drive (9.5mm) as they are usually cooler and quieter.

I use a 4Gb Hitachi Microdrive in a CF-to-SATA adapter. Draws almost nothing, can't be heard without a stethoscope and has
adequate capacity for an OS and Myth. Does not take up a drive bay, it can be squirreled away anywhere in the case.

Not a speed daemon, but fast enough.

Just one more option, out of many.