[mythtv-users] Firewire no longer required on HD STBs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 29 16:58:04 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:49:54 am Justin Johnson wrote:
> The FCC grainted a waiver to STB manufacturers allowing them to remove
> the firewire ports from their STBs, so long as they include similar
> functionality through an IP-based interface.
> http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/27/fcc-waives-1394-requirement-in-lieu-of-an
> -ip-interface/ The way I read it is that current STBs will not have their
> firewire ports disabled, but future boxes are not required to include
> them, so long as an ethernet port and the requisite software interface is
> included. The waiver was granted on the basis that the inclusion of a
> firewire port not only increases production costs, but also prevents
> innovation. Interesting to see that the FCC seems to think that
> firewire is a dying standard. Along with Apple's decision to not
> include firewire in their latest products, could it be that firewire
> will go the way of the serial port?
> --Justin Johnson

That reference was kind of thin on details of the IP interface. It would be nice if the STB would serve out content as an
NFS or Samba share, and/or as a UPnP server.

But I'd guess it will be some sort of DRM-ridden crap that will only work with something obtained from the cable companies
or their lackeys.

Perhaps it will require a CableCard to work? That would fit with the cable company's usual tactics, since you can't get a
CableCard anyway.

I will agree that firewire does not have a great future, nobody wants to pay royalties to Apple, apparently including Apple
itself.

Serial ports still have their uses, and not just for Myth IR blasters.