[mythtv-users] Firewire no longer required on HD STBs

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 17:22:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
> On 6/29/2010 11:58 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>>
>>> could it be that firewire
>>> will go the way of the serial port?
>>> --Justin Johnson
>>
>> Serial ports still have their uses, and not just for Myth IR blasters.
>
> Amen. Serial ports haven't gone away. They've just been translated through
> USB or some other higher level proto.
>
> I have SOOOooo many things with Serial on them.
>
>  -Ben

I completely agree that serial ports still have their uses, just not
to the "average" consumer. Power users continue to use serial ports
for all kinds of things, but it's somewhat obscure. I think that
firewire will follow the same path, the headers will be included on a
motherboard, or you can get expansion cards, but it generally won't be
a standard feature and you'll need to go somewhat out of your way to
use it.

> That reference was kind of thin on details of the IP interface. It would be nice if the STB would serve out content as an
>
> NFS or Samba share, and/or as a UPnP server.
>
> But I'd guess it will be some sort of DRM-ridden crap that will only work with something obtained from the cable companies
>
> or their lackeys.

Most likely, the pdf of the FCC announcement includes language to
indicate that it won't necessarily be in an open format.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-1094A1.pdf

> the petitioners have met the Commission’s policy objective by including connections on their set-top boxes
> that will enable cable subscribers to enjoy the full range of services offered by their cable providers in a
> secure, digital format that third-party devices on their home networks can receive

After reading through that pdf it also seems that cable operators will
still be required to provide a firewire cable STB if you request it.
Given others' difficulties in obtaining a firewire box in the past,
that might be easier said than done.