[mythtv-users] Firewire no longer required on HD STBs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 29 21:37:26 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 03:28:07 pm Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > I have seen devices that stream video from the net, and present it as a
> > UPnP server
>
> That's different.  Generally most stuff on the net can be played on-demand.
>
> When talking about a device that can stream just whatever is playing
> right now on a small handful of channels (compared to the number of
> videos available for streaming from a typical web service like YouTube
> or Hulu), a UPnP type interface seems like an odd fit.
>
> > Basically it just needs enough information  about the "file", like the
> > name, size etc., to be able to fake out a UPnP renderer and make it
> > think the streamed program from the cable co. is actually just a file,
> > which is all it really is anyway.
>
> But it doesn't stream programs, it streams channels.  How big is the
> file that represents Comedy Central?  Not the Tuesday night 11PM
> showing of The Daily Show, but all of Comedy Central?  It just doesn't
> make any sense.

Could you just have the device output whatever you have tuned with the STB as a single "file"? Thus it would work for
"channels" or for individual on-demand programs.

I'm just trying to think of a way the IP interface could be easily used by consumers without having to purchase a ton of
new gear, or rent something more from the cable company.

I agree the HDHR type system would be nice, but few people own equipment that could use it, short of a PC of some sort,
but many people own X-Box 360s, PS3s or one of the many UPnP-capable media players now available.

An IP interface nobody can use benefits nobody, except perhaps the cable companies.