[mythtv-users] Adding another tuner to Mythbuntu 10.04 running .23-fixes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 30 14:30:54 UTC 2010

On 06/30/2010 07:14 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
> I had a small snafu happen when I tried to add the additional card so
> I aborted adding the 4th physical card and just used my existing 3
> cards.
>
> Fixed the snafu on the 4th card and then added it to the system
> without problems.
>
> I've labeled the card when configuring capture cards by identifying
> the chip set it finds.  Dvico or pcHD5500.
>
> Don't know for sure witch card slot is the actual tuner because I have
> 2 sets of chip sets I'm dealing with.  I would guess it's based on the
> PCI/PCe slot that each card is installed in.

Device initialization in modern GNU/Linux is done asynchronously,
meaning that device nodes will change numbers on consecutive boots.
When you have multiple different capture cards and need them configured
differently for MythTV, you need to use either udev or module options to
control device numbering so that it's static for MythTV.

> I can say for sure that the card labels I entered don't match the true
> card name.  The reason I say this is because when I hit one of the
> programed keys on my remote to display signal strength(alt-f7) it
> shows signal levels of the card marked "Dvico 1".
>
> Dvico cards do not support signal strength option.

See above...

> So to get at least the card type correct I might "delete all" and try
> to re add them.

That would work until you reboot...  ;)

> I have another question in regards to virtual/multirec settings.
> Currently just used the default option of 2 for each card.  All of my
> recordings are being done OTA.  I have at least 3 stations doing
> multiplexed broadcasts.
>
> For a test I started recording 4 shows from the same multiplexed
> broadcast.  2 recordings went to one card and 2 recordings went to
> another card.  Wouldn't it be best for me to change the virtual number
> of each of these cards to the maximum(4) number of multiplexed
> broadcasts for my area?
>
> I don't use any input priorities.

If your system can handle scheduling for 4x4 inputs and recording on 16
inputs simultaneously, then, yes.  The reason for that option is to
allow you to choose the configuration your system can handle (as
performance is non-linear with additional multirec inputs).

Mike