[mythtv-users] Converting h264 recordings

Ian Forde ianforde at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 16:50:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Jelle De Loecker <skerit at kipdola.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've searched for an answer to this for quite some time, but still haven't
> found any linux solutions.
>
> Has anyone been able to convert an h264 recording to an mkv?
>
> It's impossible to get it to work in mencoder or avidemux and projectx still
> does not support h264 recordings.

I've been doing it in a 2-stage process... At one point I had a ton of
HD-PVR recorded movies that I wanted to save.  Sooo...

Step 1: In myth, do a transcode, with Autodetect (not Default.  For
some reason Default wouldn't work...)
Step 2: Set cutpoints and run a User Job with a slightly modified
mythnuv2mkv.sh script.  (I had to change the default aspect ratio and
add an extra elif to "do the right thing" when INWIDTH=0 and
INHEIGHT=0...)

Result?

Good news: mkv file.
Bad news: It's stereo only - I lose the surround tracks and I'm not
wanting to mess with what's at least a partial solution right now.  Oh
- and the files aren't exactly small... in the neighborhood of 5-7GB
for a 2 hour movie...

  -I