[mythtv-users] Heads up - Gentoo 0.22 Upgrade Coming Soon

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 14:30:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Richard Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:09:38 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> My backend is headless so it's not easy to determine if it's working
>>  until I update at least 1 frontend.
>
> A few ideas/tips:
>
> 1.  BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN NOT TO CONNECT USING A 0.21 CLIENT ONCE YOU'VE
> STARTED!!!!!!!!!  Disable all of them once you get started or you could
> have one messy database (assuming you have the locale issues).  There
> are ways to get around this, but they require care.

This is especially good input. I've heard this but forgotten it.

This is one area where Myth feels like a home brew project. There just
shouldn't be anyway that a single machine out on the network should be
able to mess up the server's database, or at least I would hope not.
In general I cannot control whether my wife in the other part of the
house is going to power up a remote frontend and try to watch a
program. It would be far better if the backend could handle requests
from frontends of any revision, if for not other reason than to tell
the frontend it's out of date and refuse to play programs.

Anyway it's great input. If this is really a requirement then in my
case I suspect I'll emerge -C mythtv on __all__ remote machines, do
the server upgrade, then emerge myth on one frontend and see if it
works.

> 2.  You can just run mythtv-setup from any updated system to update the
> database.  Be sure to examine the console output - the GUI just seems to
> do nothing for a while when it applies update after update.
>
> 3.  If you want to do your headless server first, just export
> DISPLAY=hostname:display to redirect the windows of mythtv-setup to
> another system.  I'm pretty sure that mythtv on gentoo requires libX11/
> etc even if it is built backend-only, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
> Just run xhost +backendserverhostname on another PC running X11 to see
> the console.

I'll study this. Myth is weird video to me. I'm used to running lots
of apps over the network but not this one.

Cheers,
Mark